Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Aramco Half Marathon - 2015



I'm officially a runner!!!!! 

Waaaaaay back in October, when I was still on track training for a December marathon, a friend called me to see if I wanted to do the Aramco Half Marathon with him. Um, YES!! I signed up with all the fervor of a new runner. 

And then life happened. All through November I ran with horrible shin pain and finally in December I called it quits with the Marathon training and decided to take two weeks off to heal my shins. Well two weeks turned into three, into four, and then suddenly, oops! It's a week before I have to run 13.1 miles. Crap. 

I. Was. Terrified. Because of the way the permits worked for the race, you had to get to mile 9 with a 13:45 minute/mile pace. That's how fast I run on a good day...after a diet coke...with the wind at my back...going downhill. Needless to say I was sure I was going to get picked up and be disqualified. 

It was early. So very early. I heard parking would be nearly impossible to find but luckily a friend shared with me a top secret, slightly illegal place that he parks every year. We parked and then waited oh so impatiently for the race to start. I worried about my slow pace while listening to King worry about his pace (he runs about five minutes faster than I do...he had nothing to worry about. But it was his first half so fear is understandable). We finally made out way out to our starting corral where we waited...and waited...and freaked out...and waited. :) forty five minutes after the gun start, I finally crossed the start line. 


"Oh My God. I'm so scared. Omg. Omg.
Don't have a panic attack. That would be embarrassing."


We passed a fire house! They were super nice and cheered us on while they leisurely enjoyed their morning coffee. 


Seriously. The signs are the BEST! I laughed so hard at this sign I startled the person next to me. 


See that guy in the white shirt? He's juggling. My though process went something like this:

Hey, is that guy juggling?!?!?!
Omg, he is totally juggling! That's so awesome!

Wait.

Did I just get passed by a guy juggling!?



Halfway there! This is my first race selfie!


Ok, so this is the big achievement. I fought so hard to run 10 straight miles with no walking. I am so very proud to be able to say I have run double digits. By mile 9 EVERYTHING was hurting but I pushed through it and dragged my slow self to the ten mile marker. 



Around mile 12 I was over it. I was exhausted and everything hurt and I just wanted to finish. I kept telling myself to just run it so I could be done but I just couldn't run anymore. 


Once I hit downtown I knew I was in the final stretch so I ran the last mile or so. People were watching, I couldn't NOT run! ;)


I don't have any pictures of me immediately following the race, the finish line was so clogged with spectators that Barry couldn't get a shot of me. The race has photos for sale but they're like $30 a photo, that's not happening right now. :)

Barry met me with roses and a beer, it was such a sweet gesture! 

It was a great experience and I'm so proud of myself! Now that this race is behind me I'm going back to the basics. I know I can run long distances but I'm not very fast so I've started a 5K training program. I'm hoping to be able to run a 5K at a sub 10 minute per mile pace. It's a big jump for me! I've signed up for a chip timed race in March to keep me motivated. 

-Ri

What are some of your fitness goals for 2015?









No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs