Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Patriotic 4th of July Mason Jars


 Hello everyone!

I found this super cute 4th of July lantern set on Pinterest and I just had to try it out. 


I'll start by saying that there is nothing particularly difficult about this project, it just has a lot of steps. 

What You'll Need:

1-Quart Sized Mason Jar
2-Pint Sized Mason Jars
Rubbing Alcohol
Paper Towels
Star Stickers - Small foil and Large Foam
Gentle Paper Tape
Scissors
White Spray Paint
Blue Spray Paint
Red Spray Paint
Needle




1. Wipe down your mason jars with some rubbing alcohol and let dry. I believe this helps the paint to stick by getting rid of the oily residue left behind by your hands. I have no evidence for this ...I could be totally making it up :)

2. Stick the little sticker stars on the jars randomly. Make sure to leave space for the big stars later. You don't need a whole lot of the little stars.


3. Spray paint all the jars white. You could do two coats, and if you have the time you probably should. I would much rather do two light coats than one heavy coat but I was pressed for time.


4. Let the jars dry completely. I let mine dry overnight (nap time only lasts so long, I ran out of time). 

5. Use the blue tape to create stripes on the pint jars. The top of the top strip will be a little difficult to lay straight. Place the foam stars on the quart jar.



6. This is important! Paint the jars white again! This way, if there is any bleed through the tape it will be white instead of red or blue. The white paint will make a seal around the tape to make sure no bleed happens. You can skip this step if you don't care about clean lines.


7. Paint the pint jars red. Paint the quart jar blue. Let dry. My blue came out a little cracked because I didn't shake the can long enough. You can't see the defects at all when it is lit.


8. Remove blue tape from red jars. Use a needle to lift the edges of the stars from all jars. Remove stars. 

9. Grab a glass of wine, cram a tea light in each jar and congratulate yourself for being awesome. :)


I love my jars and I can't wait to use them every year!! 



-ri

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These came out pretty suave looking!! I'm totally inspired now to rummage through my pinterest diy board lol!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs