Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Support the little guy! Buy Handmade! Series



I found this Etsy seller on Regretsy, a website devoted almost entirely
to finding items on Etsy that are...interesting. A great read for those of
us that lack a brain-to-mouth filter in this very PC world. (A warning,
if you don't like cussing or Lisa Lampinelli-style, no-holds-barred comedy
I would recommend you just stay away.)

For the most part, Regretsy is a website that gets a lot of flack from sellers
that don't take too kindly to their items being viciously poked fun at but,
there is a softer side to Regretsy. The writer (April?) finds people on Etsy who
are hurting for money be it from the recession or an ill family member or
anything really and she posts their shop on her website.

I would say that 90% of the time, the seller's shop is sold out
in a matter of hours.

So I figured I would start something similar since I seem
to be lacking in the blogging department. And, actually, most
of my posts will be sellers from her website...cause I'm finding
that I'm lazy. :)

On to the story!

GregoryPatrick is a seller on Etsy who is a writer and avid knitter.
He makes these wonderful, hand-knitted teddy bears. I'll go ahead
and let his descriptions speak for themselves.



After hitting rock bottom, I had to find a way to keep myself on my feet, fed, and striving towards better things. I've been knitting my heart out to keep the refrigerator stocked with groceries, hoping I can hold onto my home.

This bear reminds me of so many philosophies along those same lines. The teddy bear looks like it was handcrafted by someone caring for a boy who doesn’t know he’s poor (unless someone tells him). It looks like the kind of teddy bear that a boy alone on a farm clings to for companionship and love, uncaring of his imperfections and strange stitching. If we consider this crafting of knitting an art form, which it surely can be, then I’m watching my own particular art form turn into a lost version of Americana’s Folk roots in rural life. And if that’s the case, then this little teddy bear is definitely a portrait of a poor boy alone on a farm…. holding on tight to hope….

These bears are my courage, my inspiration, and my lifeline.



In the wildest ways that destiny works, I found myself out on this abandoned piece of property alone. I found refuge here because it was a place of quiet and solitude; a place to find peace beyond the turmoil that last year had wrecked me with, having lost everything, having become nearly homeless, having found myself with only a grimace and a dime to my name.

Throughout my time out here I’ve rediscovered quickly that I am a strong individual, a mighty, creative man who is loved. And so, I move myself now on a quest to recapture that truth. With all the heartache and loss I've experienced, I am still a blessed man; blessed with hope, people who care about me, and the God given gift of knitting.

This bear, in creme, was worked up with all the hope I could muster. His softness a comfort, his silent and kind face a moment of contemplation and prayer. He kept me company as I stitched him together, reminding me of the compassion that finds its way into the most isolated locations of the heart.

These little teddy bears are the key to my financial salvation.

My emotional and spiritual salvation are all entirely up to me….


Gregory Patrick



As of right now his shop is sold out (Thanks to Regretsy!) but
he is supposed to be making more of these great bears soon.

His Etsy Shop
His Blog

Please take the time to read his story and check out his items!

Support the little guy! Buy Handmade!!!

-Ri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs